Vegan Date Shake – Sharon Palmer, The Plant Powered Dietitian
Naturally sweet dates are the basis for this ultra creamy, healthy, delicious shake, which happens to be dairy-free, added-sugar free, and gluten-free. If you have ever been to the desert in California, you might have been lucky enough to try a date shake. The region near Palm Springs is famous for date cultivation, and I regularly stock up on dates grown in the California deserts. In particular, medjool date trees yield perfect dates for eating out of hand, or in recipes. Dates are luscious, naturally sweet, and caramelly good. Date shakes are typically blended with vanilla ice cream, but in my date shake recipe I turn to frozen bananas, cashews, dates, and plant-based milk. These plant-based date shakes are kid-friendly and nutritious enough to enjoy for a snack, quick breakfast, or workout fuel.
Vegan Date Shake
Total Time: 15 minutes (not including freezing time for bananas)
Yield: 1 serving 1x
Naturally sweet dates are the basis for this ultra creamy, healthy, delicious vegan date shake, which happens to be dairy-free, added-sugar free, and gluten-free.
- 1 large banana, peel, sliced frozen
- ¼ cup cashews, raw
- ½ cup boiling water
- ½ cup chopped, pitted dates (i.e., Medjool)
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¾ cup plant-based milk (i.e., soy, coconut, or almond)
- Peel banana, slice, place in a container, and freeze. It takes 2-3 hours to freeze banana slices, so you may want to do this step the day before.
- Place raw cashews in a dish and cover with boiling water. Let soak for 10 minutes while you prepare other ingredients. After 10 minutes, drain water from cashews.
- Place sliced frozen bananas, soaked and drained cashews, chopped pitted dates, nutmeg, and plant-based milk in the container of a blender.
- Process for about 2 minutes, until very smooth and creamy. Should make a thick, “milkshake” texture.
- Pour into a glass and serve immediately.
- Makes one serving (about 1 ½ cups each).
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Smoothie
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: date shake, date shake recipe, pitted medjool dates, medjool date tree, medjool date vs date
For other smoothies, check out the following:
Purple Power Blueberry Smoothie
Golden Turmeric Smoothie
Green Pistachio Smoothie
Zingy Avocado Banana Smoothie
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information click here.